Built in 1841, Carrickmacross Workhouse has been restored into a Community Resource,
Training and Heritage Centre (Not for Profit) by Farney Community Development Group Ltd.
Congratulations to Sarah Cunningham from Lisdoonan for completing an informative and well-researched YouTube video on the cast-iron windows in the Workhouse
Sarah's video was a component of her Architectural Technology: Heritage and Design course in the University of Limerick.
During her 9 minute video, she provides an historic background to Carrickmacross Town, before focusing on the history of the Poor Law Union Workhouse.
As a result of visiting the Workhouse on a number of occasions, Sarah learnt about the materials used during the original construction of the building between 1841 and 1843.
Particular emphasis was placed on how the cast-iron diamond-shaped windows were originally constructed, along with how they were painstakingly restored between 2000 and 2003.
We wish Sarah every success in her future academic and professional career!
Honorary Patron of Carrickmacross Workhouse:
Australian Ambassador to Ireland, Her Excellency, Dr. Ruth Adler